Green Bank 101
Information provided by Coalition for Green Capital:
A green bank is dedicated public or non-profit finance entity designed to drive private capital into market gaps. Green banks:
- are a finance institution dedicated to increasing and accelerating investment in clean power goods and services.
- have a mission to use finance tools to mitigate climate change.
- do not take deposits like a typical “bank”.
- operations can be funded by governments or charitable contributions or both.
- may deploy capital from public or private sources, invest on its own or in conjunction with private sector investors.
As focused institutions with specialized market and financing know-how, green banks are able to spark greater public and private clean energy investment. They can use a range of techniques and approaches to engage market actors and capital providers, bridging market gaps that allow capital to flow at scale.
Check out the Coalition for Green Capital for more information.